We are working with our Community partners to organise courses and information sessions to help and support our parents and families, for example, with literacy and numeracy. We will use this page on our website and our Facebook page to promote these courses and sessions and other community events which our parents and families may be interested in. Some of these will be hosted by Heathlands Primary.
We are thinking about running a Health Helpers course at Heathlands to promote healthy living. This course provides FREE training for any adult over a couple of sessions to gain a Level 2 qualification in Heath Improvement and is open to anyone living or working in West Howe. If this sounds like something you may be interested in, please contact Carla Pilgrim, Family Support Worker for details.
My name is Mikala James. I am the SMILE project worker for West Howe and Kinson.
SMILE is a community initiative for lone parent families that is supported by (and comes under the charitable status of) Faithworks Wessex which provides financial, fund-raising, administrative and strategic input to SMILE. It was a project set up initially in Poole to support lone parent families. After huge success in Poole it is now being extended into the West Howe and Kinson area and my role is to do outreach work with lone parents.
* To increase confidence, self-esteem and resilience of one parents ("to make life a bit easier")
* To increase confidence, self-esteem and resilience for children of lone parent families
* To promote healthy dynamics in families and provide positive role models
We do this by:-
* Creating space for lone parents and their children to re-connect with others in similar circumstances
* Developing skills that increase confidence and self-esteem in lone parents and their children
* Providing services to help lone parents maintain stability at home.
We provide 1:1 support and group activities. For further information you can look on the Faithworks Wessex website - faithworkswessex.org.uk/
SMILE Project Worker
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile : 07971021255
Visit the Bournemouth Early Years Team on Facebook and like their page to receive monthly 'top tips' and lots of useful information.